Thursday, November 21, 2013

Honey Chicken

One of the many perks of marrying my husband was that, in so doing, I married into my husband's family. And one of the perks of being a member of my husband's family is that Mr. Handsome, my husband, comes from a long line of great cooks.

My husband is on a business trip this week.  So last Sunday afternoon it registered that he would be leaving the next morning which resulted in two things.  First, I began pouting.  Second, I pulled it together and decided to make my husband a "send off" dinner, something I knew he would enjoy...to make up for the pouting.  I made my honey some Honey Chicken.

Mr. Handsome grew up eating Honey Chicken and it is a family favorite.  According to legend, his mother got the recipe from his sweet grandmother so--thank you to the lovely Grandma Benson.

I have changed a few things from the original...mostly in how it is prepared and that is mainly because I'm lazy.

Presenting:


HONEY BAKED CHICKEN
adapted by Moe...any guesses what I changed ;)
3-4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp curry***

Melt 7 Tbsp butter; stir in honey, mustard, salt and curry powder. ***My husband loves a strong curry flavor so he likes 2 tsp, if you want a more mellow flavor go with 1 tsp.  Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces.  Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in large frying pan and cook chicken on medium high heat (this allows the pieces to sear and they are less dry that way, and you get that nice browning on the outside).  I break the pieces up as they cook so they are nice and small.  Once they are cooked through add the sauce and stir on medium heat to thicken a bit.  Serve over rice.  Easy!

P.S.  the original recipe (if you would like to try it) used 1/4 cup margarine instead of butter and 1 chicken cut into serving pieces instead of chicken breasts.  The chicken was baked in the sauce for 1 hour at 375 (turned once midway through).

 photo cookweb1.png
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...