Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ode to the Rainbow

I have previously posted the Rainbow Jello Recipe but I wanted to include some changes I have made to make it more efficient and share some fun pictures.  The pictures show why it is such a cherished tradition in my family.  I know my sisters share my love of multi-colored jello goodness.  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.





Here's one taken by my sister!


One of my earliest memories was watching my mother make this layer by layer in Provo Utah in the winter.  She would put it on a cookie sheet and set it on the top of our old orange bug (car) to cool.  I thought it was the COOLEST thing ever...and my kids echo that today.  Kids LOVE this and I love it too.  I have made it every Thanksgiving since we were married and intend to continue.  Thanks MOM for making the best Jell-O EVER!

You will need to choose your Jello package colors, I use:
1/2 lg pkg grape (3 of 6 oz)
1/2 lg pkg blueberry (3 of 6 oz)
1 sm pkg lime (3 oz)
1 sm pkg lemon (3 oz)
1 sm pkg orange (3 oz)
1 sm pkg strawberry (3 oz)

For each layer (I begin with purple) you boil 3/4 cup water and add your jello powder and stir til dissolved.  Then add 3/4 cup cold water and stir a little.  Put 1 cup in a measuring cup and set aside.  Put a few heaping Tbsp of Sour cream in a bowl and slowly whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of liquid jello (I start by adding just a little and slowly add more to get rid of lumps).  Put in the fridge or freezer to cool.  Once it is set (doesn't take very long because it is so thin) Pour your 1 cup jello that you set aside to form a second layer.  Put back in the fridge until set.  Once it is set you start the whole process over again with another color.  It is so fun, and your kids can help because its pretty simple.

 photo cookweb1.png  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...