Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Homemade Uncrustables

The first time I had a Uncrustable sandwich, I was in the eight grade. Our lunch ladies sold them for .75 cents and they were cheap enough so that I could also buy a soda. When I started playing softball, I would ask my mom to buy them for me when I would go to out of town games. Now as a mother I buy them for special occasions such as, beach trips, road trips, and picnics. Our family loves them because they are easy and yummy. If you don't know what Uncrustables are, they are peanut butter and jam sandwiches that don't have the crust. They come in the frozen section at the grocery store and you keep them frozen until your ready to eat them. This summer we discovered their new peanut butter and honey and they are also very tasty. So this last summer, the kids and I would have picnics by the pool almost every day. We really liked bringing Uncrustable and one day my friend and I were talking about how it would be so easy to make our own. That's when I started this time and money saving process.

 So your going to need,

 -loaf of bread (I buy a cheap, whole wheat loaf. Make sure it's a little on the moister side)
-peanut butter (creamy)
- jam, jelly, or honey (I use homemade raspberry freezer jam)
- a cutter (I found this dinosaur cutter at the dollar section at Target. You could also buy a sandwich press on Amazon or just use your favorite cookie cutter.)
(Sorry the picture is so small and blurry. I am getting a new camera soon)

So first you are going to make a peanut butter and jam sandwich.(hard, I know) Add thin layers of both, so that you wont leak out the sides of your sandwiches. 

Then you are going to cut your sandwich. Try to get a good seal on the sides of your sandwiches. 

Lay your cut sandwiches on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for an hour or two. 

Put your sandwiches into lunch baggies and store in freezer.

Enjoy your sandwiches. I know this is kind of crazy simple, but it saves me at lunch time. Big D loves eating dinosaur sandwiches and it usually only takes 10-15 minutes for these to un-thaw. They are fast, simple, and a family favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...