Friday, January 21, 2011

Meatball Marinara Subs



McKenzie's Meatballs
1 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef
1/3 Cup Minced Onion (I use dehydrated onion. It is already minced up and all you have to do is add a little water and put in
the microwave for 30 seconds! Saves ALOT of time!)
1 tsp Salt and 1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
2/3 Cup Saltine Cracker Crumbs
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Milk (I like to use Whole or Half and Half)

Cook in 1/4 Cup(or more) Melted Shortening on Medium, Brown outside's of Meatballs, then place on cookie sheet and let finish cooking at 300F


My favorite sauces- Hunt's Pasta sauce (yes from the can) I love the taste of their sauces and they have so many different ones and you can always spice them up with your own spices. Plus they are usually on sale!
If I am in a cooking mood I just got this recipe from my good friend Sonja Schatt and I LOVE IT. She served her mission in Italy and she says this is pretty authentic.

Simple Tomato Sauce

In a medium saucepan heat 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, cook until fragrant. About 1 minute. Add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 can whole or diced peeled tomatoes, breaking them as you go. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce to rapid simmer. Cook stirring often until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp minced oregano leaves. Makes 2 1/2 cups. (I also like to add basil from the tube- best invention EVER!! Found at wal-mart by produce)

Combine meatballs with your favorite marinara sauce and
serve in toasted subs. Cover with your favorite cheese (I like swiss) and add olives, fresh basil leaves, parmesan cheese, peppers, whatever you like :)

So easy and so yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...