Friday, October 18, 2013

Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Sage

What do I say that does justice to this Fall dish of awesomeness?  I am still on my "Squash Kick" and going strong.  Anyone else been using pumpkin puree besides me?  We all know that many people use pumpkin this time of year.  The ladies from "Our Best Bites" introduced me to amazing Pumpkin Alfredo via my sister (she is their biggest fan)..and I could eat that stuff all day.  However, this dish actually came from a book I checked out from the library. Did you know you could check out recipe books from your public library--how cool is that!?

And seeings how this is a Gnocchi dish and I LOVE making my own Gnocchi, I was instantly sold.

So if you really want to cheat you can buy gnocchi but they really are easy as far as fresh pasta go.  I can't really say that fresh is SO much better because I have never bought them from the store...they look unappetizing though...My advice--be brave and make your own if you feel adventurous!  And to make it easier, plan ahead;  make extra mashed potatoes earlier in the week (for Shepherds Pie, Mash Potatoes and Gravy, whatever).




Moe’s Gnocchis 


4 packed cups mashed potatoes (best at room temperature)
1 ½ to 2 cup flour
2 eggs
½ tsp salt


Mix in mixer to form dough.  Use extra flour when rolling out.

(Half this and it will feed a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, but I usually make it all up and freeze the extra--they freeze very well)


The lighting does not do this dish justice...I will take a better picture next time I make this



Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Sage
(***adapted from Weight Watchers Quick Italian Favorites pg 90)

Sauce:


2 Tbsp Olive Oil
½ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
(I used smoked maple)
1 8oz pkg Mushrooms
(I used mini bellas)
1 cluster green onions, chopped
2 tsp garlic
1 jar of your favorite Alfredo Sauce
2/3 cup Pumpkin Puree
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup chicken broth
½ tsp rubbed sage
Parmesan for garnish




Cook and crumble bacon, set aside.  In sauce pan, sauté mushrooms, garlic and green onion in olive oil over medium heat about 5-7 minutes, or until tender.  Add jar of Alfredo, pumpkin, salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes on low.  Add broth and sage.  Cook Gnocchi’s and put in bowl, mixing with sauce.  Add crumbled bacon if desired (I keep it separate so it doesn’t go soggy in leftovers).  Serve with Parmesan (and crumbled bacon, opt) on top.  

***if you are wondering what is changed from the original...they call for fat-free Alfredo sauce--ew!  And I don't like the bacon in it so I keep that for on top.  The rest is pretty much the same ;)

 photo cookweb1.png

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be brave and try the Gnocchi :) Thanks for posting sis! I am so excited to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...