Saturday, February 8, 2014

Chicken Asparagus Soup


It has rained pretty steady for the last few days...this type of weather makes me want soup.  It just tastes so much better when it is raining outside, and being stuck inside makes for some recipe blogging time..so here am I!



I "heart" asparagus.  We have been eating it a lot in our house lately, to the utter dismay of my children...but I like it so we are eating it!  And right now they are in season here and they are thin and crisp and delicious.  And to top it all off they are super cheap!  So I will be posting a couple of my favorite recipes that use Asparagus, starting off with this wonderful soup.

I LOVE this soup!

This soup is full of flavor and yet really showcases the asparagus because all other veggies in it are blended up into the broth.  And just so you know, this soup is even tastier the next day.  I found the original recipe in the April & May 2008 Taste of Home Magazine.  I have added some ( ) in the recipe...that is my own commentary...you can edit them out if you want.  Enjoy!

Chicken Asparagus Soup
2 lbs thin fresh asparagus
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large onion, chopped
12 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans chicken broth (14 1/2 oz each)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1 bay leaf
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups half n half cream (or milk..or heaving whipping cream)
Shaved (or shredded) Parmesan, optional

Cut tips from asparagus spears and set aside (I keep 2-3 inches from the top).  Place stalks in a large skillet; cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.  Strain, reserving 4 cups cooking liquid (I usually only end up with only 3-3 1/2 cups but it is fine).  Discard stalks.
In a Dutch oven (I use a big soup pot), saute the potatoes, onions, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender.  Stir in the broth, salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, bay leaf and reserved cooking liquid.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes (I only simmer for 5-10 min. usually because we are in a hurry to eat).  Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly!!!(This is important if your blender is like mine...really hot liquid will pop the top when you blend=burns and messy kitchen...not that I've ever been impatient enough to try it...)
In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches until smooth.  Return to pan.  Add the chicken, cream (I used Heavy Whipping Cream last night and it was marvelous), remaining pepper and reserved asparagus tips.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired (and yes you will desire it, it is amazing!)  Yield about 2 quarts.

 photo cookweb1.png  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...