Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas Eve is Clam Chowder & Bread Sticks

Last year was the first year that I felt like Christmas Eve really wasn't about me anymore.  I've been married for several years now so you would think the lesson would have come faster.  However last year was our first Christmas on our own, hundreds of miles away from the ones that use to stuff our stockings and fix our holiday feasts.  It was my job to bring the magic and comfort of the holiday into my own home for my children.  Yup, Mr. Handsome and I were on our own, and it was 100% our responsibility to make Christmas full of the spirit of Christ and all about family.

The experience made me appreciate my parents and the traditions and sweet memories they made for us as children.

And so, tonight, I'm thinking of you Mom & Dad.  And here is a list of some of the things I will forever treasure about growing up in la Familia G.  Merry Christmas!

Christmas Eve will forever be...

A star shining on top of a 100 foot tall blue silo--waiting at the kitchen window at dark
Waiting for Grandma and Grandpa G to come for supper
Christmas carols sung at the door with treats
Surprise attack snowball fights with the neighbors
Lip sync with upside down chins under a blanket
Shoveling snow from the ice pond under the flood lights
Family Slumber Party beneath the tree
Santas on Four Wheelers
Christmas songs sung by Chipmunks & Dolly and Kenny
And because this is a recipe blog, 

My Mother's Clam Chowder & Aunt Kathy's Bread sticks






Mom's Clam Chowder
(this recipe is a "half recipe" of what my mother taught me growing up.  If feeding a large crowd, double this)

2 large Idaho potatoes (peeled and cut into pieces--the smaller the better I think)
2 stalks of celery
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped fine
1 can minced clams (and juices)
3-4 cups milk***
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Cheddar Cheese 
Saltine Crackers

Put cut vegetables in a pot and cover with just enough water (1-2 cups) and boil until veggies are soft.  Open 1 can of clams and drain the juice into the pot.  Add milk (***I grew up putting 2 cans of Evaporated Milk in, but you can use Half n Half or just use milk--I like whole milk.  And the amount will depend on how runny or thick you want it.  If you want it more thin add more liquid).

Melt butter in bowl in the microwave and add flour to make a thickener.  Add clams and thickener to  soup over medium heat and stir to thicken.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with cheese and crackers on top.

Aunt Kathy's Bread sticks
1 ½ cup warm water
1 heaping Tbsp Yeast
¼ cup honey
1 ½ cup flour
1 ½ tsp salt


Mix altogether with beaters then add 1 ½ cup flour (***I usually end up adding more like 2 1/2 cups flour).  Knead a little and raise till double.  Melt 1  cube butter (I use ½ cube) on cookie sheet.  Roll out dough and cut into strips with pizza cutter.  Flop strip around in butter and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and Salad Supreme.  Raise on cookie sheet and bake at 425 for 10 minutes.

And if you really want the full Christmas Eve Experience you MUST have Christmas Punch as well :)

Merry Christmas Family & Friends!

 photo cookweb1.png  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...