Friday, October 11, 2013

Very Tasty Zucchini Bread



Starting over in a new town can be hard.  Our first month here I often felt alone.  My husband jumped into his new job with both feet and was busy and gone for a lot of our first few weeks.  Sometimes it felt overwhelming and one day my children and I just jumped in the car and started driving.  I was looking for something to help calm me down and that is when I first came across a local farm market.  It was love at first site.



Since that day, when I get stressed about being in a new place, I load up the kids and we head to a farm market.  I give the kids some change and they pick out a snack from the produce.  Sometimes my kids suggest a trip before I do.  I just love being surrounded by the fruits of a great harvest.  Everything is delicious and amazingly priced.  We are in produce heaven!


Right now there is squash of every shape and size everywhere you look.  I've got some groovy gourds decorating my kitchen counter.  But with all the fancy, multi-colored beauties, I still couldn't resist bringing home the "plain-jane" of the squash family.  Call me nostalgic but I grew up eating zucchini in every way imaginable and no fall would be complete without yummy zucchini bread.  This recipe came out of an old Mormon cookbook my mother gave me.  It is moist and fills my entire house with the most wonderful aroma.  And kids love it too--SCORE!  Enjoy!
 




Zucchini Loaf 
adapted from Mormon Cooking 1st Edition 1985

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup oil (AND/OR applesauce*)
3 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated Zucchini

Sift together:
3 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder


Combine wet and dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Put into greased and floured pans.  Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.  Makes 2 loaves.

*I usually pour about 1/2 to 3/4 a cup applesauce in a 1 cup measuring cup.  Then I fill in the rest of the 1 cup with oil (so about 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil).  

 photo cookweb1.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...